Picture of Janie

Picture of Janie
REAL TALK

Monday, January 25, 2010

THE BODY

For the last couple of weeks I've been thinking about the body, the Body of Christ that is. My thinking led me to my past horrific experiences with the church I was a member of in Atlanta for over 13 years. I do believe I have let go of those hurts and painful memories, but I'm viewing the Body of Christ somewhat differently than before.

After having this original thought, and that's all it was, a thought, I felt if I began to write about it, then other thoughts would come to me. At least that's how it has worked for me in the past. In the following days, not only did I hear this subject preached on a Christian station I listened to twice, but my own Pastor at the Lutheran Church I attend with my family preached on it.

I will never forget the first time in my walk with the Lord upon hearing the term, "The Body of Christ, He being the head and we it's members was such a revelation to me! Scripturally speaking from 1 Corinthians 12:21-17 it explains so well that the body is not made up of one part but of many. If the foot should say, Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body, it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? But, in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. And the best part (I've left out some of the scriptures) to me is when the bible states, "If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it. Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of us is a part of it.

Okay. I'll stop with the Bible thumping and just say that my view on the body has broaden quite a bit. It encompasses all of those that write from their hearts and share their faith with all of us.

I've pulled out one of my books I purchased in 2005, "Henri's Mantle", and quoting quite a bit from this book. I ran upon this paragraph; "Churches, mosques and temples which cover so much hypocrisy and humbug and shut out the poorest out of them seem but a mockery to God and [God's] worship when one sees the eternally renewed temple of worship under the vast canopy inviting everyone of us to real worship instead of abusing God's name by quarreling in the name of religion. I know that churches are as unfinished as our individual lives, and I should seek to forgive them for their incompleteness as I seek to forgive myself and be forgiven for mine.

I have to be honest here with you, I had begun to feel this "blogging" thing was turning into a competitive thing, with ME. How could I write with feeling that way? I couldn't. So, I decided to write, as inexperienced a writer compared to my fellow bloggers, so much more unsophisticated and not as eloquent with my words, but to do it anyway. Just like Janie would write. Simply and Real.

So here in blogger town, we are all made up of many parts, and all though all its parts are many, they form one body.

I am grateful that you accept me as one of the uncomely parts of this body that I belong to; still important and hopefully useful and have the greatest gift which is love.

6 comments:

  1. Jane, shift the negative words from "uncomely", "unsophisticated", and "not as eloquent" to "unique", "genuine" and "perfectly written and spoken".

    See the difference? EVERY blogger was a novice at some point in time, and had to learn. EVERY writer was also a novice at some time and had to learn. I, as a writer, am constantly honing, shifting, adjusting and learning about the writing process - same w/ blogging.

    I, very gently, am saying to you that I want you to be aware uour words. It is very understandable that you'll struggle for a while w/ holdover negative thinking - that's part of the process of overcoming a life of abuse. You're such a beautiful Soul, Janie-love, and I want to see you become aware of the negative thoughts and shift them to positives. WRITE them to positives!!!

    That's it for my own little mini-sermon! ;-) I enjoyed your blog today and I think you're a very gifted writer. You just need time to settle into this newly discovered gift!! Oh, and another good tip - visit your Comments regularly and write replies. This will encourage your readers to keep the threads going, get discussion moving and just make the whole process that much more interesting!

    Love you honey,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn,
    Thanks for the constructive comments. I am looking at everything you had to say. The good thing is that in my writing is that i am becoming more comfortable. To have used the words "unique, genuine and perfectly written and spoken would have been out of place in trying to make my point. Making the statement, "the uncomely part of the body," i did not view in my mind as negative. the most uncomely parts of the body are vitally important and we couldn't live without them.
    And lastly, I do try and post comments, to the point that I will forget and go back and check on my sight again to see for comments in order for me to respond. I also make an attempt to comment on the blogs I enjoy reading. I sound on the defensive don't I? Perhaps I am. I'll digest all of this in the meantime. Thanks. Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, you don't sound on the defensive at all! If I made you feel that way, then I apologize in return. I was doing my supportive, encouraging sisterly thing, and perhaps I overstepped. W/ writing, sometimes the intent can go sideways.

    I just got your email on all of this and will reply in that format. Just know I love you and all is well.

    ~ Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jane,

    I've been exploring what it means to be part of the Body of Christ too... I think probably all of us do who spend years in organized churches plus years working with God on our own.

    I remember some of the things you talked about in your comment over on Stirring the Deep; those were some awful things that happened at that church. I am so sorry anything like that ever takes place, especially in God's name. Jesus and the disciples warn us all the time about false teachers and wolves entering the flock, though, so I think it's important to pray for awareness and fortitude to face these battles!

    The Body of Christ is made up of ALL of God's followers, through all time, in all places, whoever they are. As this truth becomes real in my heart, I get downright excited knowing that we're all over the place, fighting for our lives in Christ! This has been one of many exciting facets of blogging, although I do hope and am praying diligently that God leads me to more fellowship/assembly with His people in person, where I physically am.

    In any case, I am glad to hear your "voice" among the bloggers out there. It can VERY easily become a competition, as I well know and have been praying over in this journey to discern God's answer as to whether or not I keep blogging, but I think the thing to remember is that even the disciples had stages of growing and following Christ. Paul wrote more than any other disciple, but he also mentions his weaknesses as a speaker. The other disciples wrote very little comparatively and commented on preferring to "come to" their brethren instead of writing with "paper and ink". Paul and others also comment on false teachers sharing their lies with pretty speeches and enticing words, as we also see all the time! So, I think the important thing is to be honest with God, ourselves, and each other as He enables us to be and blog the best we can with the tools He has given us for the purpose He has given us. Some write to teach, some write to share their struggles and journeys. Whatever God has laid on your heart to share or whatever He is doing in your life, may you blog about it in a way that will strengthen and edify you, bring light to others, and give no reproach to God's name. I am glad to have the opportunity to pray for my brothers and sisters who blog, so I will pray for you in this. Over my months of blogging, I've stumbled across quite a few but only a few stick with me for some reason, sometimes because they teach me and fill me with energy, sometimes because they allow me to get to know someone in a way that makes me think of them in my prayers and daily doings as if we are friends. Even though I've only followed you for a little while, you're one of the few that I've started consistently reading/commenting on, and I plan to keep it up after culling out some simply because God is calling me to spend more time elsewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too, have felt the exact same way, so I know how it feels Jane. I find myself thinking often, "I'm only 20, received B's in all English classes, how can people bear to read what I write?"

    But somehow, the Lord uses all of us, as you mentioned. The Body moving forward, each blog sharing their love with God, is working toward good, and the Lord blesses that.

    I know for certain, you write very well! No need to be negative, and I want to tell you one more thing. I simply love your comments on my blog. Each one has food for thought, and I like that. :) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thought I had posted a response to your comment Marty, but who knows. Anyway, thank you for your kind words and please allow me to say that you are truly one of the better writers that I always follow even if you are only 20, and if you ask me, getting "B's" in English isn't all that bad. :)

    ReplyDelete